|Portal to Beeville, Bee County, and beyond . . .|
"Free" web presence for Beeville/Bee County since 1996
|NWS Forcast||Government||Health/People||History||Hunting & Leases||Insurance|
|US Gov't Time||Phone No.s||Photos||Real Estate||Recipes||Recreation|
|Avian Flu | CDC||Religious||Restaurant||Resources||Retail||Task Force|
|PandemicFlu.Gov||Tourism||Utility||Weather Page||Wholesale||Yard Sales/Auctions|
29 - FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF BEEVILLE
Beeville, the county seat of Bee County since 1860, did not have a secure bank until 1890, when the First National Bank of Beeville opened for business. Prior to that year, the town’s only banking facility was A.C. Jones’ General Store, where some area residents stored money under a loose floorboard behind the counter.
The increases in population and trade volume brought by the arrival of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass and the Gulf, ??tern Texas & Pacific Railways in the late1880’s made the ~ establishment of a bank necessary. In December of 1889 thirty investors met and organized the First National Bank of Beeville and elected A.C. Jones, Louis B. Randall, B.W. Klipstein, J.H. O’Connor, Viggo Kohler, J.C. Wood and J.R. Hoxie to the first board of directors.
First National Bank of Beeville operated on the courthouse square until 1894,
when it relocated to the vicinity of the railroad depot. Functioning at that
site for 66 years, the bank moved in 1960 and again in 1984 to be near major
auto routes. It is one of the few banks in South Texas to have been independent
and locally owned and operated for one hundred years.
Updated Thursday, December 21, 2006 20:58
Copyright ©1999-2011 by Beeville.Net
and/or the individuals/company/organization providing information on the
pages. Beeville.Net began offering a Free Web Presence December 17, 1999
If you use a picture and/or article from any place on Beeville.Net, please, give
provides assistance in web development and database implementation.